Transportation is available to county residents, age 60 and better, for medical appointments and for personal business. Medical transports are priority and are available anywhere within Putnam County and to the adjacent counties of: Allen, Defiance, Hancock, Henry, Paulding and Van Wert. Personal business is available within Putnam County and includes trips to: social service agencies, beauty salons, pharmacies, grocery stores, banks, and other essential errands. Advanced notice is required for transportation services. Hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Transportation is provided in six wheelchair accessible vans and three agency cars by professionally trained and caring personnel.
To schedule an appointment, please call the Putnam County Council on Aging at 419-523-4121.
When you call in to request transportation, please have the following information available:
• Your name, address and phone number
• When and where you need to go (we will need the address of the location we will be transporting you to.)
• If you are using a cane, walker or wheelchair
• If a family member or friend will be accompanying you to your appointment.
To better serve you we appreciate as much advance notice as possible. We do schedule appointments months in advance. Please call us as soon as you have your appointment. If you need to cancel a scheduled appointment, please call us at 419-523-4121. If we need to postpone trips due to unsafe driving conditions or unforeseen circumstances, we will work with you to reschedule your appointment. If our agency closes due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances, the announcement will be broadcast on local TV.
You may have a family member or friend accompany you to your appointments. When scheduling your transportation, please let us know if someone will be with you.
Tips to Keep In Mind When Scheduling Transportation
1. Please have your doctor’s address available when you call to schedule your appointment.
2. If you cancel your doctor’s appointment, please remember to call the Council on Aging to cancel your transport.
3. When the driver arrives at your home, please allow them to escort you. Please understand that this is our agency policy.
4. Please be ready to leave at your estimated pick up time. Please be aware that the weather (fog, snow, heavy rain, etc.) may be a factor that could affect your pick-up time.
5. During the winter, please remember to keep your sidewalk and driveway clear of ice and snow. Please make arrangements to have a family member, friend or neighbor clear a path wide enough for 2 people to walk side by side from your door to the vehicle. If your walks are snow covered and slippery, we may not be able to transport you. Our number one priority is your safety.
6. If you have pets in the home, please make sure they are secured before our driver arrives.
7. Please consider our office hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, when scheduling your appointments.
8. In order to assist as many clients as possible, please understand that you may have some wait time before or after your appointment. Thank you for your understanding.